Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

My friend and I are neighbors and are putting up temporary

Customer Question

My friend and I are neighbors and are putting up temporary power poles together. We went through inspection and he noted a couple things. On my friends he said to remove the ground bus bar from the disconnect. We have the same setup, but he didn’t put that on mine for some reason. In any case, can we just get rid of our ground bus bars and ground the receptacles to the neutral bus since it is bonded? Effectively having two wires from each receptacle to the neutral bus; one for the ground and one for the neutral?
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 17 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) I need to know how the main electrical panel is configured? Is it configured as a main disconnect panel to kill power or is it configured as a sub-panel?

2) Thus, 2 different methods of grounding depending upon how the panels are configured.

3) Neutral and ground are only bonded together at the main service disconnect.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
It is a main disconnect on the temporary service pole located right under the meter base. The meter base is grounded to a grounding rod. My Googling says it should be ok to do this, but wanted to check with professional. If I keep my grounding bus, would I need to run a strap from neutral bus to grounding bus? I'm thinking the simplest and most appropriate thing to do is ground and neutral on the same bus.
Expert:  Kevin replied 17 days ago.

1) Yes, neutral and ground are only bonded together at a main means of disconnect. If the main disconnect is a panel with a main breaker, then install the main bonding green screw or the main bonding jumper strap to the neutral bus bar. Then all bare grounds and white neutral wires can all terminate to the same neutral bus bar.

2) If the means of disconnect is not at a panelboard and is a switch, then the main bonding screw or main bonding jumper strap is not installed at the panelboard and a separate ground bar will be required inside that panelboard.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 17 days ago.

Any other questions?