Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I replaced a four function rocker switch in bathroom, which

Customer Question

I replaced a four function rocker switch in bathroom, which controls fan, night light and light combination. Fan and night light work. When I push rocker for light, the light over the sink turns on. Also, the on/ off positions of the rockers is backwards.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 14 days ago.

Hi Joan, welcome to justanswer.com

If the operation is backwards, this woyld be a defective switch or a switch that is labeled wrong. Either way it should be returned for a replacement.

Please remember to rate my service before leaving the site and let me know if you have any other questions when you have the replacement in hand

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I would like an an answer to the other question. Not so concerned with on/off situation
Expert:  ProGrade replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for the clarification. It may be futile with a defective switch. I need a clear picture of the way you have the switch wired and model number of the switch. Thanks

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Three way rocker switch. Didn't need four way since fan has only one speed. Hot wire connected to single screw and 3 black switch wires connected to 3 switch screws. Whites are together and capped. Grounds are together and capped.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 14 days ago.

Yes M'am, was waiting for picture. My apologies. I can't help without a picture. Thank you for the opportunity perhaps another expert will be able to help you

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I paid $16 for that?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 14 days ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you now. As the last expert suggested, a make and model number would give me the information required to answer your question.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Purchased at Home Depot - 3 Function Rocker Combination Switch, 120-V, 15-Amp. Model #FSR-600-W7.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 14 days ago.

Simple installation. Your description of the problem indicates you have the feed wire on the wrong termination. You need to identify the hot wire with a 2 wire voltage tester and then connect it to the single svrew termination on the side. The leads to the vent and lights then connect to one of the 3 screws on the other side. Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Before I requested your help, I already identified the hot wire with a 2 wire voltage tester and connected the hot wire to the single screw on the side and each of the three leads to the three crews on the other side
Expert:  Mike G. replied 14 days ago.

I checked the specs and installation guide. The switch has to be miswired as far as the hot wire attachment. If connected as directed the individual screws on the other side operate from the adjacent switch. Might want to recheck the connections.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'm not presently at the location, but I'm certain the hot wire is connected correctly. As previously indicated, two of the three functions work. The regular light is the only function not working. Then there is the situation where the rocker for the regular light turns on the light over the medicine cabinet.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 14 days ago.

Unfortunately you are wrong. Check the connections. Let me know after you do how it went.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I will
Expert:  Mike G. replied 14 days ago.

Very good.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
When I get a chance, I will check my connections, as you suggested. But I have a question. If the night light and fan are working and only the regular light is not, doesn't that suggest that the hot is properly connected?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 12 days ago.

If the only thing not working is the light and the only change made was the switch, I would think the problem is the light. The hot on one side feeds the 3 switches. 2 are working suggest the light as the problem.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I double checked connections. All good
Expert:  Mike G. replied 12 days ago.

Either the problem is the light or the switch is defective.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Why does the switch turn the light off in the other room
Expert:  Mike G. replied 12 days ago.

That would be a connection to the wrong wire. That wire should be directly connected to the hot wire and not the switch. Were the fan,light and night light on a previous switch? Is the model number you gave me correct?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
They were on a model 621 control for use with model 656 vent made by Fasco
Expert:  Mike G. replied 12 days ago.

The switch is a triple single pole. It requires a hot on one side on the single screw and 3 wires, one for each function on the other side. If you have one switch controlling lights in another room, it needs to connect with the hot and not be on the switch, which means you need another wire for the light not working. You are my eyes and I can only comment on your replies.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
This is how the old switch was wired. Yellow/ white on a but. And that was for the light that does not work now. Red/blue/black on a but. That was for fan. Brown/black on a but. That was for note light. 4 blacks on a nut
Expert:  Mike G. replied 12 days ago.

That is a little confusing. The wire colors being more than a single color on the wires. Could you upload a couple of pictures?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
In other words, the old switch had 2 black, red, blue, brown and yellow. The instructions on back of switch said to connect red/blue to black; brown to black; yellow to white. I have two groups of wires in the box. 2 white and 2 black, each. 3 whites were nutted. 4 blacks were nutted (2 from the switch and the remaining 2 frtom the box. Everything worked
Expert:  Mike G. replied 12 days ago.

Show me the front of the switches.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Is this what you want to see?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 12 days ago.

The replacement switch isn't exactly the same as the original . Knowing which wire is a hot, take each of the other wires and touch them to the hot to determine their function. The mention of connecting the yellow to the white says make that the last wire to test. Let me know what each color does.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The switch says yellow is light, brown is night light and red/blue is fan. Exactly it says Line{ white - common direct to appliance
Black - to switch black
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Instead of the switch turning on the fan light, it tufrns on the light over
the medicine cabinet and the light in the adjacent room
Expert:  Mike G. replied 12 days ago.
  1. Both black together, do the lights in the other room work?
  2. Connect the 2 blacks to a short wire and connect to the feed screw on the switch.
  3. Put the yellow and brown on screws
  4. Test to make sure light and night lite work
  5. Touch the red and blue together and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The light in the other room works if I switch it on in the bathroom.
Why do you wantg me to insdtall the old switch?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The new switch properly operate the fan and the night light
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Mike?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It seems to me that I need to connect another wire, but to where? The old switch put the yellow and white together. Remember, the yellow is for the light. Do you think we need to connect a wire to white?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 12 days ago.

It may already be connected

Look to see if a white wire enters the box with the other wires.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
There are 4 white wires
Expert:  Mike G. replied 12 days ago.

Do any enter the box with wires from the fan?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 12 days ago.

Are they all connected together?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
There are 2 sets of black/black,white/white. I remember wire nutting one white wire to the other 3
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The old screw used the white with the yellow
Expert:  Mike G. replied 12 days ago.

Just touch the wires as instructed.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
There were 3 white wires with a but. I don't have the old switch attached
Expert:  Mike G. replied 12 days ago.

I said touch the wires, I did't day anything about a switch. I want to know their functions.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I pigtailed the black wire to the hot and connected it to "hot" screw. Now the light in the other room works with its own switch. The light over meficine cabinet now works only with iis oiwn switch. The fan works and night light with the new switch. I now have an empty screw and don't know what tyo place around it too make the light work
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
There are only 4 black wires. I know which two are for the fan and night light. I know one is hot. The other one I pigtailed to hot. Should I touch each white to hot?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I need to know the answer. I will be leaving here shortly
Expert:  Mike G. replied 12 days ago.

Try each of the wires left one at a time. If nothing happens put the 2 wires together and try them.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
There was only one black wire left, which I pigtailed to hot
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
There are no wires left to try
Expert:  Mike G. replied 12 days ago.

You showed, red, blue,brown and yellow. You used 2 that leave 2. Blacks are feed and not included.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Those are for the old switch
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The new switch, as you know, had no wires attached. All I have to work with here are black and white
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I need to know what to attach to the empty screw
Expert:  Mike G. replied 12 days ago.

Wires on the old switch need to connect to new switch.. Black and white, where did they come from?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Why do I need to connect old switch to new?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
My battery is running low
Expert:  Mike G. replied 12 days ago.

You need to read my direction more carefully. I can't keep repeating instructions. I saw the pictures and got the other lights on elsewhere and the only thing left should be the last connection. No mention of a white and black previously. I'm working with the info you supply.

Connect the white with other whites and touch the black to the hot wires.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 12 days ago.

If that doesn't conclude the question, I'll opt out.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
You say I am not listening to you. Please listen to me. Forget about the old switch. Pretend it never existed and I am trying to connect my four black and four white wires, which are in the electrical box, to my new single pole three function switch.
If you are unable or unwilling to do so, please refer my question to another expert.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Never mind the request for another expert. I got the light to work on my own.