Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I have a single power line and mistakenly broke off the

Customer Question

I have a single power line and mistakenly broke off the fin...can I proceed or shall I go buy another 5224?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Only a two trip to the Home Depot so far
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Three wires, all are black, hot one is identified. Previously tried to install a replacement that was Leviton three way...followed the wiring of the damaged switch, could only get one of the two lights to function. Back to HD and got the combination two switch. Whereupon I took off the fin.
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: The system is 15 yrs old and I have had a general coffee consultation with an electrician...did not ask if the lack of fin was a deal breaker. Also, there was no connection to ground in the original installation.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 15 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Since this switch is a combo type which will control 2 separate loads, is there only 1 circuit or 2 separate circuits? Sounds like only 1 circuit providing power, is that correct?

Note: This switch is 2 single pole types and not a 3-way.

2) Where the fin was removed, was this on the switch side that contained 2 black screws?

3) Have you identified the hot wire circuit feed and the 2 switched loop wires?

Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.

I will opt out of the question since I have not heard back from you.

You will be notified if another expert picks up the question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 13 days ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. You can connect 2 wires to the black screws and then connect them to the feed wire to replace the cut bridge.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 13 days ago.

That should be the solution. Consider a 5 star rating. If you need a follow up, just post back.