Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

Trying to install minka aire conept fan and wires in wall

Customer Question

trying to install minka aire conept fan and wires in wall outlet box do not match wiring described for wall transmitter. one black, one white, one ground wire in outlet box; transmitter has two balck wires with instructions to NOT attach any to white (neutral) wire. Can we do this ourselves?
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: House was built in 1940, but wiring appears to have been updated, perhaps in 1980s. Fan is brand new. Haven;t consulted an electrician for fan installation.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 13 days ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 13 days ago.

Having a black and white in a switch box indicates the white is being used as a black wire. It should have been marked with black tape. To verify you'll need a 2 wire voltage tester. Test the white to the ground wire or metal box for voltage. The white should be the hot wire and the black the switched hot.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What does "switched hot" mean?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 13 days ago.

The wire that goes to the fixture and is hot or not depending on the position of the switch.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The two black wires for the transmitter are labelled "to power supply" and "to fan", so would the black wire labelled "to power supply" get attached to the white wire in the outlet box, and the "to fan" get attached to the black wire in the outlet box? Just making sure that I've got it right!
Expert:  Mike G. replied 13 days ago.

That is the way it should be if it was wired correctly. That's why I told you to test the wires. Sometimes things are not as they should be.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
OK, white is hot, so that one gets connected to transmitter wire that says "to power supply". Thanks, ***** ***** was excellent.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 13 days ago.

Very good, glad to help. I'd appreciate a 5 star rating.