Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

Purchased a 61 year old home. Replaced living room fixture

Customer Question

Purchased a 61 year old home. Replaced living room fixture which has a 3-way. After installation completion one switch works fine the other one fizzles. The fizzling switch has 2 pairs of red and black wires connected on each end of switch with white wires pigtailed. Other switch has single wire with red and black on one side and white wire on other side. There are no grounds and previous fixture had no ground. So is my problem is the ground I connected on the new fixture.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just today after putting up new light fixture.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have an electrical background.
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: 61 years old. I haven't contacted anyone. This my first time actually encountering a situation like this.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

Sorry but we're having site issues. I'll try to work the question but don't know if the program will.lock up again.

Having 2 red & 2 blacks on a switch would indicate it is a 4 way switch. The pair from one cable terminates on the top terminals and the pair from the other on the bottom terminals. If you are trying g to use a 3 way switch, there is where the problem is.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is it fizzling when I operate the switch because of its age and needs to be replaced?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

Correct