Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Rural domestic water well motor control box----Has it or the

Customer Question

Rural domestic water well motor control box----Has it or the pump failed?? My electrician poked around the 2 HP Franklin box with a neon and said there is power to the pump. I am not familiar with capacitor start/run systems. Is it possible to indicate voltage, but not have current to run the pump?? ie the box has failed, not the pump.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rico Soma replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If your electician says there is power to the pump then I have to assume the issue is not with the controller. While a bad pump is likely it's also possible the wiring to the pump (in the well has failed). Either way you need to call a pump service company to check this out.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK possible failure from controller to pump. But my question is---is the showing of voltage to the pump enough to guarantee current?? I under the capacitors routinely fail, can a failed one still show voltage to the pump, but be unable to supply current to run???

I have to assume that your electrician is familiar with capacitors and their function. but I suppose it's possible he isn't. It is possible that you could show voltage to the pump with a failed capacitor. In any case testing a capacitor can be extremely dangerous if you don't know how.