Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I live in a house with 4 apartments and I shorted out the

Customer Question

I live in a house with 4 apartments and I shorted out the power in my unit I went to reset the circuit in the box but don't know what switches belong to me as the box just says main power, lights, washer, dryer. I could not find another box and can't get hold of the landlords
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 18 days ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 18 days ago.

With your hand touch the breaker handles to see if you can locate one that feels loose. They sometimes trip but don't throw to the mid position. Turn it off fully and then back on.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
What is the breaker handle? I am a newbie and don't know my way around. Also. What if none of them are loose
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I am still at the office and not at home yet. I am trying to get all the info I need so I can take care of this. Thank you
Expert:  Mike G. replied 18 days ago.

et me ask if you pay for the electric or is it come with the apartment. If you pay, you should have your own panel. If not the one mentioned is more than likely where the breaker is.

The handle is the switch on the breaker. If tripped it should go to the mid point between on and off.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I pay for electric separately. If there is another box where might it be in proximity to the main box. There is nothing in my apartment and when I went into the basement this morning I only saw one box
Expert:  Mike G. replied 18 days ago.

Might be outside where the service enters the building. Ganged panels should be identified as to which apartment they serve.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
What does a ganged panel look like and would it be near the meter?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 18 days ago.

Ganged means several panels at the same location. A GANG.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Can it be outside or inside. How would I find the source of entry for the power
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I am not sure what I am even going to look for
Expert:  Mike G. replied 18 days ago.

Look for several electrical panels and meters next to each other. They will either have an overhead wire from a utility pole or not if fed underground.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok I will be home later this evening and will try it
Expert:  Mike G. replied 18 days ago.

Very good, let me know how you do.