Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I'm trying to locate a main circuit breaker made by General

Customer Question

I'm trying to locate a main circuit breaker made by General Switch company type GDP.
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: The wrong circuit breaker was installed 30 years ago.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I may unless I end up having to update the box.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It is a push-in type breaker. The original breaker was a 125 amp which was shorter. The longer 200 amp was installed but would not engage all of the way. This causes the lights to dim when the electric heaters come on in the winter.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 23 days ago.

Welcome to www.justanswer.com

Have you unplugged the existing breaker to see what kind of shape the panel is in? With the bad connection like you described it's possible that the lugs that the breaker plugs into are damaged. I recommend that you do a visual inspection before you go any further. In the meantime I can look for a breaker.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
The lugs are burnt slightly. I was planning to replace the breaker if I can find one.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I have located what I need.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Will this be a one time charge of $16?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 23 days ago.

I highly recommend that you replace the panel. Lugs that have overheated will continue to deteriorate. If arcing damage occurs, it can be unsafe.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
You have not told me anything that I did not already know. I was trying to find a supplier for a General Switch breaker or a direct replacement.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 23 days ago.

If you are not satisfied with my help, please do not rate the service and you should not be charged. If you are charged, contact customer support or let me know and I will contact them for you. Thank you

Expert:  Mike G. replied 23 days ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. General Switch breakers may or may not be available used, but I suggest a Siemens or a Cutler Hammer BR series for a replacement.