Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I wish to add an standard duplex outlet to a Kichler

Customer Question

Hi - I wish to add an standard duplex outlet to a Kichler Lighting Power Supply Hardwire 50w Cabinet Accessory in Black 12353BK, via the next run in the space inside the 12353BK. What are the requirements to keep this in electrical code given that the future duplex outlet will not be in a wall, but will be attached via single gang box.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 20 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Receptacles are always required to reside inside a box.

2) Are you looking to tap off of the Kichler power supply to provide 120 volts to a receptacle?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi Kevin -
1) Understood on the first point - I'm trying to make sure if I have to place the 12/2 wiring in a PVC or equivalent to get to a box.
2) Correct - tap off the Kichler power supply to provide 120 Volts to a duplex outlet. With the planned duplex, I will still be under 10 outlets total for the circuit breaker.Thanks!
Michael
Expert:  Kevin replied 19 days ago.

Thanks for the replies Mike.

1) Adding another receptacle onto a 15 or 20 amp breaker is not an issue.

However, the power supply is only 50 watts which is designated for the lighting. By tapping off of the power supply, there may be insufficient wattage available for a plugged-on load. Watts Law is P = I x E. Solve for I. 50 watts/120 volts = .41 amps.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
as there are two of the 12353BKs, on the top part of a cabinet, separated by approximately 5 and 1/2 feet - am I allowed to run 12/2 from the first to second, or do I need to run this through some type of PVC? I want to make sure I am staying in code ... both 12353BKs currently their own dedicated wire run so I'll simply re-terminate one of them into a remodeling box and 20A duplex outlet.Thanks!
Expert:  Kevin replied 19 days ago.

1) The 12/2 NM Romex cable needs to be protected by either installing the cable inside conduit or box the NM Romex cable and protect it by using wooden furring strips. Either method will be code compliant.