ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

Transfer switch

Customer Question

Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to www.justanswer.com

All of the breakers including the one in the main panel identified as generator should be ON.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just to be clear, I am not using the portable generator, it is not attached.
I was told by the previous owner that the breaker labeled 'Generator' on the main panel stays off. As far as the breakers on the Transfer switch, they don't remember if those were always on or off.
Why should the 'Generator' breaker on the main panel remain on even if not using a generator?
I just want to make sure I'm not going to mess up anything. Thank you!
Expert:  ProGrade replied 7 months ago.

If the transfer switch is properly wired, it would have a circuit from the main panel supplying one side with utility power at all times, else, the loads in the transfer switch should be dead. This should be the breaker identified as generator though to be properly identified it should be marked Transfer Switch.

If the circuits fed from the transfer switch are on (hot) with the transfer breaker OFF, there is a wiring problem. I would check with the former owner to see if the generator & transfer switch were professionally installed.

Let me know if you have any questions. If so, a sketch and pictures of the installation would be helpful. Thank you