Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Can I run my Franklin Electric well pump on my 120v inverter

Can I run my Franklin Electric well pump on my 120v inverter generator in an emergency? It's listed as a 230v 3/4HP single-phase, 2-wire motor.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

I'm afraid not, a 230 volt appliance won't function on 120 volts.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Many years ago we had to replace the well pump in our old summer house that was not built with 240v service, it only had 120v. As I recall, the electric***** *****ged something in the way the pressure switch was wired so that it worked (jumpers?).If I am remembering that wrong, how about a transformer akin to this https://www.zoro.com/value-brand-step-updown-voltage-converter-15kva-30c521/i/G5205663/

You can use a transformer but your power source has to be able to handle the load. So if your pump draws 12 amps your 120 volt inverter needs to be able to handle 24 amps. Another way to look at this is how many watts can the inveter produce. You multiply amps times volts to get watts.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My generator can output 2800 running watts and 3100 starting watts. My well pump is a .75 HP that is listed as using 6.8 amps and max 8 amps at 230 volts. So, is it 2 x 8 amps = 16 amps; 16 x 115 volts = 1840 watts?If that is correct, then please look at this link for a Rockstone Power 3000 Watt Heavy Duty Step Up/Down Voltage Transformer Converter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLYMMCCA 3000 watt should give me a little more than 50% higher than the pump. Rockstone Power also has a 5000 watt version for approx $50 more.So is that math correct and should the Rockstone Power 3000w (or 5000w) product work to run the well pump in an emergency?

Yes your calculations are correct. A 3000 watt inverter has ample capacity to handle 1840 watts.

Do you have more questions?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi. I didn't forget to rate this and close it out yet. I am verifying the information! Hope you understand.

Ok

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I believe that after some further research that the voltage transformer solution will not work as indicated in this FAQ from the manufacturer:Can I connect an American 220 Volt Dryer or other 220 volt American products to a Transformer?
No you cannot connect an American 220 Volt Dryer or other 220 volt american products to a Transformer. Voltage Transformers are made to convert single phase 110 or 220 volt. American 220 volt consists of 2 phase of 110 volt and European 220 volt consists of 1 phase of 220 volt.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Your 240 volt well pump requires a generator that is capable of generating 240 volts. A 120 volt generator won't work on a 240 volt pump.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Thank you for the positive service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great weekend and Happy Holidays.............Thanks again............Kevin:)