Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have a capacitor rated at 400v 6,300uf. For my

Customer Question

I have a capacitor rated at 400v 6,300uf.
For my application, I'm only charging/discharging the cap at around 320v.How many amps should I estimate are coming out of the cap?I want to make sure the components in the circuit are going to be able to handle it.Thank you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

I need to gather some more information from you in order to help.

The amp draw is completely dependent on the impedance of the load.

Any idea what that is?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No clue. Can I measure the impedance with a multimeter?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 months ago.

No you are fine. Are your components rated for 320V?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The circuit runs from the capacitor through an SCR, then thru a coil, then back to the capacitor. The SCR is rated for 1,000 volts 200a. And it operates very well. I am wondering if I have enough room to work with to use two capacitors haven't decided yet if they will be in series or parallel. I would like to try both.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Previously I was using a capacitor that was rates at 350v 3,700uf. Is there a formula i could use to figure out the amps based on the uf and volt values? All I could find online was a calculator that would tell me the amperes second/volt. I have no idea what that means.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I believe the coil is 16 gauge. Approx
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 months ago.

There are lots of formulas but without knowing the circuit layout, there's no way I could do that for you :) It's also about three semesters-worth of Physics.

How are you gating the SCR? What kind of device is this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Really? Three semesters in physics to get a formula for determining amps from a capacitor?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 months ago.

Haha no, Kirchoff's Laws and circuit theory in general.

Again, you need the impedance of the load. The load determines the amperage drawn from the capacitor. If you have a small load, the amp draw will be small. If you have a larger load, the amperage will be higher.

How are you gating the SCR?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry for the delay. The SCR is gated with a single D battery.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Circuit layout image 1
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Circuit layout image 2
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Circuit layout image 3