Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

For new service generally ground rod needs to be 30'

Customer Question

For new service generally ground rod needs to be 30' underground. My question is can you bury under slab near footing. If so does it still need to be 30'? As I remember they have a chemical they sprinkle in the trench for grounding rod to make ground better and keep corrosion down. My second question is what is the chemical?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just starting research.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. I was a Biomedical engineer before retirement last year.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no. I do not think so.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** i will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Ground rods are 8 foot length and need to be driven 8 foot vertically.

2) Have never heard of any chemical applied to ground rods and have never had any electrical inspector require a chemical. I am also a former electrical inspector.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Shown below is the exact verbiage within Article 250.53(G) of the National Electrical Code (Rod and Pipe Electrodes)

"The electrode shall be installed such that at least 2.44m (8 ft) of length is in contact with the soil".

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)