Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

We ordered a Volrath 4 well electric steam table. We ordered

Customer Question

Hi, we ordered a Volrath 4 well electric steam table. We ordered it through a third party company called ACityDiscount.com. We ordered a 208V table, but ended up with 120V table, #38214, 4 well table. It would have been a huge problem to send the table back, as we had assembled it and thrown away all the packing material before we noticed the problem.A electrical engineer says that the 208V table heats up quicker and saves electric. So, I have a number of questions:(incidentally, Volrath was NOT responsible for the screw-up)
1. Is it possible to change this table over to a 208V table. We have an electrical engineer who is able and willing if it can be done if;
A. Can it be rewired?
B. Are the elements the same on a 120V vrs a 208V one?
C. If we can rewire the table to become a 208V, can we order a 208V cord?
D. If we can rewire the table, is it possible to order a wiring chart?
E. What amp circuit breaker would the 208V table require?
F. Does the 208V table use less electric and heat quicker than the 120V table I ended up with?
Thank you for answering all these questions. Dave Seifert
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.
  1. Yes the table can be modified to 208V.
  2. Unfortunately it would require changing the elements and more than likely controls.
  3. It would be much better to contact the supplier and have them send what was ordered.
  4. Yes, a 208V table would heat faster.
  5. Cost of operation may not be much different once it reaches temp the applied heat only keeps it at a constant temp. Either voltage will do that.
  6. To be more specific on its operation I would need the name plate ratings
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was afraid of that I really do not want to change elements a d controls. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No thanks.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

I checked the unit out online. It only has the 120V. No other voltages available. It was noted the it can't be returned for credit or replacement.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Mike G. replied 30 days ago.

You're welcome.