Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I had recently bought a fixer upper. It's located upstate

Customer Question

I had recently bought a fixer upper. It's located upstate New York, built in 1978 raised ranch.
Some of the wiring that was done by the last owner was very messy.
In May I had the electric upgraded to 200 amps.
Last night, we were using a infrared space heater in our bedroom for about 4 hours. My wife noticed that the other outlets in the room were very hot.
The other outlets on the same circuit in the other bedrooms were also hot.
I checked the breaker box. There is an old 14 gauge 3 wire. One hot going to the bedroom circuit. One hot from the same 14 cable is in another breaker feeding a few lights hallway/ stairway/ front door light.
What do you believe is causing these plugs to get so hot?
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Eddie replied 27 days ago.

Hi........you are probably using about 12 to 15 amps with that heater ......the older home that yopu have is only capable of running that 15 amps of power........so the space heater is maxed out on that circuit........so when you go above 15 amps that wire on the circuit will heat up.......you shouldn't be usiung an extension cord on the heater also.........it would probably be best if you could upgrade the wire to 12 gauge and put it ona 20 amp dedicated breaker with a sensor ........you might want to limit the use for now and consult with an electrician

Thanks

eddie

Expert:  Eddie replied 24 days ago.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie