Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Trying to hook up Hunter Dual Wall Control #27182 which came

Customer Question

Trying to hook up Hunter Dual Wall Control #27182 which came with the Hunter Fan #22926. We installed the fan based on using the single switch wiring (green ground wires together, white wires together, black wire from ceiling to black wire from fan and black&white wire from fan). Now we are trying to hook up the wall switch. The switch has a blue, red, green & black wire. How do these connect to the wall wires so that the light and fan work separately.
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: 15 years, thereabout...No we were trying to do it ourselves
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The wires in the wall are: green ground wires, a black wire, a brown wire that goes to this switch and other switches which control other lights
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to www.justanswer.com

Is it possible that what you are calling a brown wire is just a discolored white wire. You can verify by checking to see if the black, green, & "brown" wire are in the same cable. If they are, the wiring arrangement would not support the switch you are trying to install. Look at it again and let me know. Thank you

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. As the previous expert said the house wiring at the switch box won't allow the fan speed/light control device. If you give me the count and color of the wires in the ceiling box, I will be able to advise on how you should handle the issue.