Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I am replacing a light switch with a motion sensor switch.

Customer Question

Hello Pearl,
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I am replacing a light switch with a motion sensor switch. My current setup has three black wires connected to the old switch and all three white wires tied together. On my motion switch I have 1 black 1 white 1 red and of course the ground. How do I wire it in to replace the old switch.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Help me wire this up and that would be best...:)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Does the switch contain 2 brass screws? Are there 2 black wires terminating to 1 brass screw and the 2nd brass screw has 1 black wire terminating to that screw?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sir.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Kevin I appreciate your time, but I am not spending anymore money. I will find another route. Thanks for your time.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

OK, Thanks for confirming.

1) Where the original switch had 1 black wire, you will splice that black wire to the red motion detector wire. This will be the switched loop wire that extends to the light.

2) At the original switch where you have 2 black wires, splice those to the black wire on the motion detector.

3) Splice the motion detector white neutral wire to the group of other white neutral wires.

4) Splice the ground wires together.

I did not submit any other requests to you. That is the Just Answer website trying to up-sell you. It did not originate from me. I have no control over that as I am only an electrician here trying to assist you and answer your questions:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)