How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kevin Your Own Question
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 3402
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Kevin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are adding an addition onto our home and need to buy the

Customer Question

We are adding an addition onto our home and need to buy the right wire for outlets, lights, etc. and also wire for a dryer to be installed in the area. Is it 12-2 for the wiring and 10-3 for the dryer that we need?
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: Brand new system. We are golng to have a stand alone new breaker box in the addition, separate from our main home breaker panel. We have consulted an electrician but want to do the rough in electric ourselves
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) If an electric dryer, the circuit needs to be a 30 amp double pole breaker with a 4 wire circuit using 10 AWG 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 ground

2) The room addition can either be 15 or 20 amp circuits. Most common is to wire the lights to a 15 amp breaker using 14 AWG copper and a 20 amp breaker for the receptacles using 12 AWG copper.

3) The sub-panel also need to be a 4 wire feeder circuit comprised of 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 equipment ground.

4) The room addition receptacle and lighting circuits also need to be AFCI protected along with tamper resistant receptacles.

Reply back to me with any other questions...........Thanks.............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also need to know the type of service meter we need to have since we will have two separate breaker panels in our home ... one to the main home power and one for the addition power.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) The home will only have 1 incoming service from the local electrical utility. Therefore, the existing exterior meter will remain the same unless you are upgrading the service amps. Only 1 exterior meter is required.

2) The home already has a main electrical panel and you will be adding a sub-panel to accommodate the addition portion. The sub-panel will be fed from the main panel. Thus no need for any additional meter.

Let me know if this helps to answer your questions..........Thanks..........Kevin:)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The sub panel will not be fed from the main panel, we are bypassing the main panel and having a sepawrate panel in the addition ...
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

1) Why are you by-passing the main panel?

Most common is to install a double pole feeder breaker in the main panel and then the downstream panel in the addition will be a remote panel, better known as a sub-panel. There is no need for a separate meter or a separate service to the home unless the home will be divided into two separate meter areas.

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

1) Even though the room addition will have it's own panel, it can still be configured as a sub-panel off of the main panel. I recommend to install a main breaker panel in the addition and configure it as a sub-panel feeder from the main. This is the most common and most cost effective solution. It is done all of the time. I've wired up and installed numerous room additions sub-panels over the years.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Bypassing in order to save from having to run additional wires to the main breaker panel (which means going through trusses, etc.)
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

1) OK, but if by-passing the main panel, now you will need a new exterior meter socket enclosure with double lugs inside the meter enclosure along with 1 main disconnect switch or 2 separate disconnect switches which will add to the project expense. Not worth the added expense and labor in my opinion:)

2) Even if running directly to the exterior meter and by-passing the main panel,the home still only requires 1 meter and not separate meters.

3) Whether you by-pass the main panel or tap into a new meter socket, you still require a 4 wire feeder circuit to the room addition panel. One way or another, you're gonna end up routing cabling or conduit thru trusses, fishing drywall, etc.

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

1) Most existing exterior meter enclosures only contain 1 set of lugs for the 2 hots and 1 neutral wire. Code does not allow a double tap on a single meter lug as this will result in a code violation.

2) The means-of-disconnect also need to be within 4 or 5 feet of service penetration into the home. This means that you will need a new exterior meter socket along with a new means of disconnect. Very costly in my opinion, but is certainly doable and code compliant. Just not worth the extra expense and labor.

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

1) If by-passing the main panel, I recommend that you contact the local electrical inspector and the local electrical utility for the required type of meter enclosure required.

A) Electrical utility has final say-so on the meter enclosure type.

B) Local inspector has final say-so on the means-of-disconnect and location of the service disconnect.

2) Keep in mind that local electrical codes will always take precedence above the National Electrical Code. Your local inspector also has the final say-so.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.


Related Electrical Questions