Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I own a home but divided it in half like a duplex from the

Customer Question

I own a home but divided it in half like a duplex from the inside. My son lives on 1 side and renters the other side. I have 2 separate air conditioners but one meter. Can I get a second meter to determine who uses what in electricity or is there another way to figure it out. Looking for the best option available
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just a month
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: For electricity no
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Installing a 2nd exterior meter is an option but will be costly.

2) I recommend to install a sub-meter product which will be more cost effective. See link shown below:

http://www.emon.com/en/products/metering-products/multi-mon-branch-circuit-monitoring

3) Keep in mind that if the branch circuits are shared with other areas of the home, re-wiring of the shared circuits will be necessary.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)