Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

This should be simple. See the attached image. I want to put

Customer Question

Hello!This should be simple.See the attached image.I want to put my dryer plug in location #1, but I can't tell if that is too close to the laundry tubs and the washing machine water supply lines.If I put it in location #2 or #3, won't the dryer cord be too close to the dryer vent pipe, causing the dryer plug to melt if it is too close to the dryer vent pipe?I will be using conduit, and I can bridge the conduit if it is advised to put the dryer plug in location #2 or #3.If I use location #2, I will be going BEHIND the dryer vent pipe with the conduit.If I use location #1 I will avoid the dryer vent pipe, though the conduit will run within a few inches of heating system ductwork (heat - not cold air return).Location #3 misses both of these by several inches or more.Please advise.Thank you!Sam...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) If the washer and dryer are both on the same circuit, why not plug the dryer cord into the other half of the duplex receptacle #1?

2) Per code, the laundry receptacles also need to be GFCI protected.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

1) If this is a new circuit, I recommend on installing a 20 amp breaker using 12 AWG copper conductors.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is an electric dryer.The circuit you see there on the wall is GFCI protected and it is a 20 amp circuit with 12 gauge wire.My primary concern is the location of the dryer cord in relation to the dryer vent pipe.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
then also the location of the plug in relation to the laundry tub and the laundry water supply lines
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) I was not aware it is an electric dryer. Install a 30 amp dryer receptacle (NEMA rated 14-30R) near receptacle # 3. If this is a new dryer circuit, the dryer cord must be a 4 wire NEMA rated 14-30P. Install 10 AWG copper conductors for the dryer circuit.

2) The washer receptacle # 1 location is fine and is code compliant since it is GFCI protected.

3) You can also eliminate the mounting wood strip and anchor the metal boxes directly to the foundation wall.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay thanks!Have a great day!
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

No problem, glad to assist.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
FYI: I have attached boxes directly to a concrete wall elsewhere in my basement, but this wall is not so great, so I did the lumber on purpose. Sadly, the lumber IS installed level, it just doesn't look like it - I forgot to see if it LOOKS level before I drove the 2nd power nail! Oh Well!
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

No problem on the wooden strip, looks fine. Was just try to save you from any extra labor/material is all:)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My dryer currently has a 3-prong plug-in. Will there be a problem making it a 4-wire when attaching it to the dryer?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I meant to say will there be a problem attaching a new cord that has 4 wires/4 prongs to the dryer where the current cord is a 3-prong style.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

1) If the dryer circuit is a brand new circuit, code requires the receptacle to be a 4 prong type. If the circuit is an older circuit which does not contain a separate grounding conductor, then the dryer receptacle can be a 3 prong type.

2) 3 or 4 prong dryer cords are sold at any Home Depot or Lowe's.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
but if I buy a new dryer cord that has 4 prongs, will I be able to attach it to my dryer, which currently has a 3-prong cord?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

1) Dryer cords and dryer receptacles come in either 3 or 4 prong types.

2) If the circuit is brand new all the way from the panel to the wall receptacle, per code you need a 4 prong receptacle and a 4 prong cord. Reason being is that in 1996 till present day, code requires that dryer circuits contain an equipment ground. If you are installing EMT conduit, the EMT will act as the equipment ground.

3) A 4 prong receptacle requires a 4 prong cord.

A 3 prong receptacle requires a 3 prong cord.

Can't mix cords and receptacle.....ie........, both must match otherwise the cord won't be able to plug into the wall receptacle.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Here is a diagram of a 4 prong dryer receptacle circuit:

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Here is a diagram of a 3 prong dryer receptacle circuit:

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

1) If the circuit is all brand new with EMT conduit from the panel to the wall receptacle box, you need to replace the 3 prong cord with a 4 prong cord. Install a NEMA rated 4 prong receptacle....ie........14-30R and a NEMA rated 14-30P cord.

Code requires that all new dryer circuits be grounded, thus the reason for a 4 prong receptacle and a 4 prong cord.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
already FULLY understood. I am asking if a new 4-prong cord can be installed on a dryer that currently has a 3-prong cord. I know how to wire the plug. I am guessing that the answer is either yes with minimal adjustments, or the answer is no. The circuit is new, so lets get past that.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Yes, any electric dryer can be wired with a 4 prong cord/plug. At the rear of the dryer, the middle terminal screw will be for the neutral. The 2 outer screws will be for each hot wire. The dryer frame will also contain a separate green ground screw where the ground wire from the cord terminates to.

Yes, de-install the existing 3 prong cord and remove the jumper strap at the middle neutral screw and replace it with a 4 prong cord.

See attached diagram for a 4 prong cord: