Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

My well pump stopped working. I have no water to my house. I

Customer Question

My well pump stopped working. I have no water to my house. I can't figure out how to shut off the power to my hot water heater to keep it from ruining itself from overheating.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rico Soma replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Your water heater won't overheat. It's only an issue if the water level in the tank drops below the level of heating elements. The only way that can happen is if you drain the tank. There's a very slim chance you could siphon some water out of the tank if you open a faucet that's below the level of the tank.
That said you shut the power off to the water heater by turning off the breaker for the heater in the main breaker panel. It should be a 30 amp breaker assuming you have a 30 gallon or larger tank. The breaker should be marked "water heater"