Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Spent 20 years as an Electrical Engineer, designing electrical plans and specifications.
329447

I have a portable radio what uses both 120v ac household

Customer Question

I have a portable radio what uses both 120v ac household current that goes into a ac/dc adaptor with output of 13.5vm 1.2 amp...or uses a 12v dc lithium battery ...
I want to connect the radio directly to a 12 volt car battery.... either by charging the lithium battery off the 12 vot acid battery or playing the radio directly off the 12 volt acid battery. can this be done?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Yes. This can be done. DC voltage is DC voltage so the radio does not care what the source is so long as it is seeing 12V DC. The key here is to making up an adapter that will fit into the back of the radio. Since you have the existing adapter, you can see the type of plug needed. These are readily available online or at your local Radio Shack. Once you have the plug, you can wire it up paying particular attention to the polarity of the plug - the positive and negative terminals.

Please let me know if you need further information on this matter.

Regards

Steve