Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I am installing a Lutron dimmer switch. C-L Dimmer its

Customer Question

I am installing a Lutron dimmer switch. C-L Dimmer its called on the package. It is a 3 way switch. I removed the 3 way switch. It was just one 3/14 romex. That is in the switch box there was a red,white, black wire and ground only. I found on the website to connect black to black, red to red, white with black tape to red and white wire, green wire to ground. After I did this nothing happened? The light does not go on? Yes, I turned on the breaker.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

I need to know if you left the mechanical switch or a companion dimmer in the other switch box. Also the count and color of the wires in the other box and on that switch.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

I left the regular old switch in the other switch box. I forgot to mention that I am using a large LED light.

In the other switch, there is only a 3/14 cable. White is in the common.

Can you also explain how this is possible. I have done a limited amount of wiring. Where is the power coming from? Thanks.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

From your statements the power originates at the light fixture. You need to reconfigure the connections on the mechanical switch. The wire connected to the blue screw on the dimmer connects to a gold screw on the switch. The wire on the dimmer brass screw connects with the wire on the switch black screw. Remove that wire, connect with a wire nut and jumper wire to the switch black screw.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

When you say " you need to reconfigure the connections on the mechanical switch."

I believe you are saying to that I need to change the wiring at the old regular switch.

There is no blue screw on the dimmer. There are no screws on the dimmer just wires. It has 4 wires coming from it a red, red/white, black and green.

lutron.com/3waydimmerinstall

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Not giving me a model number, I gave you instructions for another dimmer, disregard. Connect as follows

1. Check mechanical switch gold screws. Connect the color wires found at the dimmer on the red and red/white screws.
  2. Connect the remaining wire on the dimmer black wire.
  3. Connect the ground to green wire or screw.