Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I was replacing all of the 30-something switches in my

Customer Question

I was replacing all of the 30-something switches in my townhouse, and I was almost done when I ran into this problem. My upstairs guest full bath switches are not working and none of the wires are hot anymore. I obviously accidentally mis-wired another switch before getting to those bathroom switches, but I am not sure how to track down which other switch it is that should be sending one wire with power over to this bathroom. Continuity testing by tying the two dead wires together, turning off power, and checking all of the switch wires on that circuit on all the other switches? Do I need to go back and disconnect all of those switches on that circuit to test continuity and find out where it is? Frustrating! What is the best way to do this?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 3 or 4 days, and having to use the master bath for the whole family. Strangely, the wall outlet in that bathroom is still working, and I have done nothing to that outlet. Maybe it is on a different circuit that the light and fan switches.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes! I want to know how to fix it, especially since every other switch I've changed is working perfec
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have a digital multi-tester and a continuity tester (pen-type)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Take your tester, set for voltage, and test the black wires go ground and the the white wires to ground. If there is no voltage, test for continuity the white wires to ground. Let me know the results.