Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

There is power everywhere in my apartment, expect for one of

Customer Question

Hi, there is power everywhere in my apartment, expect for one of the two bedroom/bathrooms
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: It's been approximately two hours.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I would like to if I can.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Um, the dryer does not seem to have power as well, but the washer is working!
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Since this is an apartment, have you contact the building manager to check out the electric?

2) Is the dryer a gas or an electric model?

3) Do you have any 240 volt appliances such as an electric oven, range, cooktop, electric hot water heater, etc. that are not working?

4) Do the bedrooms and bathrooms reside on separate circuit breakers?

5) Any GFCI's that may have tripped?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1) It is too late for that.
2) It is an electric model.
3) All other appliances are working.
4) There are 2 bedrooms/bathrooms. Each bedroom is connected to its respective bathroom, but independent of the other set.
5) What does GFCI stand for?
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Are the working appliances 120 volt or 240 volt models?

2) GFCI = Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter.....ie.......the receptacles that have a test and a reset button on them or a GFCI circuit breaker that has a test button.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1) 120 volt models
2) I do not believe so.
I just noticed that some of the plugs in the kitchen are not working.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

OK, Thanks again for the replies.

1) Based on your description of the problem along with the electric dryer not working, I suspect that you have lost 1 phase from the electrical utility. Reason being is that the apartment is a combo of 120 and 240 volts. The dryer is electric which is 240 volts. If 1 phase has been lost from the utility, then only 50% of the circuits will be working. Since the dryer is not working along with other rooms, this sounds like a lost phase issue to me.

2) I recommend that you either contact the local building facilities manager or the local electrical utility and explain the problem to them. Request that the utility dispatch a service technician and confirm the voltages on their end as well as at the meter socket.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you. Do you have any guess what might have caused this? Because the power just went out. Out of the blue.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

1) Could very well be a problem with the local electrical utility transformer or the service entrance conductors that feed into your meter or main electrical panel. Thus, a few different possibilities. A loose wire termination or a faulty main circuit breaker, etc.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)