Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

My pump has black and wires, but my float has black and red

Customer Question

My pump has white black and green wires , but my float has white black and red wires and both were hard wired to a regular 3 wire extension cord but I can't remember which wires were hooked together
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I unhooked the wire nuts inside the the junction box to replace the pump but don't know how to connect the floats to control the pump about a day since I had the septic tank emptied
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes I am very mechanically inclined
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just how to integrate the float to the pump with black red and white wires with black white and green wires
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Do you recall if all three wires of the float switch were being used?

And do you have one or two float switches?

Let me know.

Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have two floats , electrical feed , pump, and floats were all hard wired together in the box with 4 wire nuts
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 month ago.

Do you know if you have any contactors or relays in the mix?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Both floats are connected to a water proof relay which has only 1 3 wire inlet I believe the floats are Mercury , the guy that installed it couldn't figure it out ,after charging me 800 a year ago and another 450 to empty empty again so I can remove it myself both floats will click the relay if raised 1 at a time, I can tell by finding the under ground wires that they have been corroded for years so he said that they had a problem with the electrical when they put it in so it may never haved worked since