ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

I have a 10KW generator that works great when the power goes

Customer Question

I have a 10KW generator that works great when the power goes out, but the well pump will not run. What do I need to check? It should be enough to handle the load, right?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to www.justanswer.com

I need some information to be able to assist you.

What size in horsepower is the pump?

How far is the generator from the well?

If a deep well, do you know approximately how deep it is?

Thank you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pump is 1/2 HP. 200 FEET from the generator, and 600 ft deep.?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 7 months ago.

Thank you, the generator is more than adequate for that size pump. Check the voltage at the pump house or well head while on generator power with some of the other loads on the generator that would normally be on. The voltage may be low. Else, you might have a bad capacitor or start relay at the pump.

Let me know what you find. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have this problem with ONLY the generator switch on. And, the problem has occurred with more than one pump. How would I help increase the voltage to the well? What would be sapping it? Thank you!
Expert:  ProGrade replied 7 months ago.

Either the voltage output drops under load which would be an indication of a defective voltage regulator or you are experiencing issues with voltage drop due to the distance and size of the wire.

You coyld test the voltage at the pump house or well head when the pump is trying to start.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 7 months ago.

If the generator voltage drops drastically while the pump is trying to start, then, test it at the generator while the pump is trying to start. If it remains in the 225 or greater range at the generator, it could be a problem with wire size since it has happened on more than on pump. The starting amperage is many times higher than the running amperage on a motor.