Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I have a four wire stove cable (black/red/green/white),

Customer Question

I have a four wire stove cable (black/red/green/white), however my stove is a European version, so it does not have 110 volt, and hence has three wires (blue, brown and yellow/green). how do I wire this up ?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to www.justanswer.com

The outlet & the cord should be changed to 3 wire

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Which cord should be changed to 3 wire, the existing stove cable ? If so, how do I connect it to the electrical panel ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the cable from the stove is a 3 wire, and cannot be easily changed. the existing wire in the house, from the panel to the stove is 4 wire. This will be expensive to change due to the length. Cannot I just cap off the red wire in the existing 4 wire cable running from the panel to the stove ?the existing 4 wire cable in the house is not currently connected to the electrical panel.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 6 months ago.

Yes, change the outlet, not the cable in the wall. Cap off the bare or green ground wire from the wall and change the outlet from 4 wire to a 3 wire outlet

Expert:  ProGrade replied 6 months ago.

You would not need to make any changes in the electrical panel

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
sorry, I am not clear with your answer. cap off the green wire does not make sense to me. I would have thought the red wire in the 4 wire cable would have been the one to cap off. Also, how to I attach the 4 wire cable to the electrical panel. The wire is hanging near the electrical panel, but not connected.If I cap the bare wire from the 4 wire cable, then I would be left with a black, white, and red wire.My understanding is that I would have to join the following:black from the 4 wire cable to brown from the 3 wire cable (hot)
green from the 4 wire cable to yellow/green from the 3 wire cable (ground)
white from the 4 wire cable to blue from the 3 wire cable (neutral)this would leave the red wire from the 4 wire cable. Since my stove only runs on 220V, and has no 110V component (clock runs on 220v, as does the stove - the stove top is propane so there is no electrical component other than the ignitor)
Expert:  ProGrade replied 6 months ago.

That is correct, my apologies, cap off white wire

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
then what wire in the 4 wire cable do I connect with what wire in the 3 wire cable.Are you sure I do not cap off the red wire ? It is my understanding that in European wiring the blue wire is the neutral, so should be connected to the white wire
Expert:  ProGrade replied 6 months ago.

I understand that I lost your confidence, I will opt out, thank you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
this is a simple question for a qualified electrician, I am not sure why you are unable to give a clear answer. It is as if you are not paying attention
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Connect as follows

1. Black to Blue
  2. Red to brown
  3. White to yellow/green.. mark the white with green tape
  4. Cap the green. Is should be smaller than the white.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is my understanding that in European wiring, the blue is neutral and the brown is hot and the yellow/green is ground. And in the typical 4 wire North American stove wiring, isnt the black and red wired to individual parts of the panel, in effect summing the 110V from the black and 110V from the red into 220V.Shouldn't I wire it as follows1. black and red to brown
2. white to blue
3. green to yellow/green
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I made an error, the existing stove wiring in the house is as follows;black, red, bare, and whiteMy stove has a blue, brown and yellow/green. My stove is from the UK, so my understanding is that the blue is neutral, the brown is hot, and the yellow/green is ground.Therefore, should I not wire it as follows;
1. black and red to brown
2. white to blue
3. bare to yellow/greenI need 220V at the stove, so I can only achieve this by combining the red and black coming from the stove wiring in the house.I should also note that the existing stove wiring in the house is not actually connected to the panel. I'm wondering if I should not change the existing stove wiring in the house to 3 wire, 6 guage cable, but if I did that, how would I connect it to the 40amp breaker I have for the panel ? In my area, electricians are very hard to get, which is why I am trying to understand things
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.
European wiring uses a hot and neutral for 220V. American wiring used a black and red for 240V and a neutral white for 120V. The blue and brown will work when either black or red are connected to blue and brown either way