Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I have many electrical question about installing a hot tub

Customer Question

i have many electrical question about installing a hot tub
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) How can I assist? What are your questions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
first for some basics i need a 60 amp dedicated breaker i am taking out a double 20 am and going to put the 60 amp in i know the white is nut and ground is cooper plain the black and red wires does it matter which hole it goes in on the breaker
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Yes, a 4 wire circuit is required extending out to the hot tub.......ie....2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 equipment ground.

2) Correct, a 60 amp double pole breaker is the most common. Doesn't matter which terminal the hot black or the hot red lands on at the 60 amp breaker.

3) You will also require a GFCI disconnect switch.

4) Shown below is a wiring diagram for a hot tub feeder circuit to assist you. Reply back with any other questions and we can take it from there.........Thanks........Kevin:)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i plan on using 6/3 with ground wire the total run from my box to the gfci disconnect is 25 feet then from disconnect to tub about 20 feet do i need to go with 34 for volt drop or is 6/3 good
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
from out of the house i will use conduit so can i still run the 6/3 to the tub or do i need an insulated ground?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
on the diagram it shows the ground and nut wire on the same bar i have 2 seperate bars in my box
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

1) NM Romex cable is not allowed on the exterior since it is not weather/water rated. The exterior conductors need to be rated as type "THWN" for wet conditions.

2) You need a 4 wire circuit originating from the panel to the GFCI disco and to the hot tub.

3) 6 AWG copper will satisfy the 60 amp circuit. No problem with voltage drop on a 45 foot run,, you are good there.

4) The equipment grounding conductor can be 10 AWG copper for a 60 amp circuit.

5) At the disco GFCI, this will be configured as a sub-panel. The bare copper ground will land on a separate equipment ground bar. The white neutral will land on the neutral bus bar. The neutral feeder must be isolated from the GFCI disco panel metal enclosure. Yes, 2 separate bars are required.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

1) The 2 hots from the hot tub will land on the GFCI breaker. The white neutral from the hot tub will also land on the GFCI breaker if the voltage is a combo of 120/240 volts.

2) The white curly GFCI neutral wire will land on the neutral bus bar.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

1) Are you installing PVC gray electrical conduit?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i was thinking of the rubber flex
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
liquid tight
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

1) Rubber flex is not code compliant. You need a qty of three 6 AWG Copper and one 10 AWG copper (total of 4 wires) all rated as insulated type "THWN" for wet conditions.

2) Conduit can be sized as 3/4" diameter Sch.40 gray electrical PVC below grade and Sch. 80 above grade. In order to make the wire pull a bit easier, I recommend to increase the conduit diameter to 1" trade size. Buried depth of the conduit below final grade is 18" minimum.

3) Liquidtite is also allowed and is code complaint, but you still require type "THWN" conductors rated for wet conditions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i can run from out of the house to the disconnect 6/3 then from the box to the tub number 6 wires 3 seperate wires and a 10 cooper wire does the copper ground nedd to be insulated
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

1) Can't install NM Romex cable on exterior as it is a code violation since Romex cable is not rated for wet conditions, inside or outside of conduit.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

1) Yes, that will work. The 10 AWG copper equipment ground can either be insulated or bare stranded ......ie....both are code compliant:)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how do i transition from exiting the house to the box from 6/3 to 6 awg
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

1) NM Romex is code compliant inside the home. You will need to transition over to type "THWN" copper for the conduit portion.

2) Either install a junction box on the inside of the home......ie........ basement or crawlspace or install a NEMA 3R weatherproof junction box on the exterior in order to make the transition.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

1) The junction box must be accessible.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how long of a run is too long for 6/3 wire just curious
also the disc box needs to be at least 5 ft from tub what is the furtherest away it can be
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

1) 6 AWG copper is good for a max of 125 feet at 60 amps and 240 volts. This results in a 3% voltage drop. National Electrical Code recommends a max of 3% VD.

2) Disco box is required to be a minimum of 5 feet from the hot tub wall and in line of site from the hot tub

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is there a max distance for the box away from tub
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how long do i have to ask you questions
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

1) No max distance. just a minimum of 5 feet from the hot tub wall and the disco must be within line of site from the hot tub

2) Ask all the questions you want:) I will be logged on here till around midnight this evening CST.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
on my house breaker box i can either put the ground and nut wire on same bar or i can put on ground and nut bars seperate does it matter
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

1) Depends how your main panel is configured. If the panel is a main disco panel, you can land the ground and white neutral on the neutral bus bar or you can land the equipment ground on a separate ground bar.

2) If the main panel is configured as a sub-panel, then the equipment ground need to land on a separate ground bar and the white neutral needs to land on the neutral bus bar. On any sub-panels, ground and neutral must land on 2 separate bars.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i may have more ? s in the next few days do you know anything about concrete pads for hot tubs?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
all my wires in my box is on seperate bars thats what i will do
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

No problem, glad to assist.

1) Pads are not part of the National Electrical Code. For the pad thickness and/or type, you will need to contact your local building code official.

2) OK since you have separate bars, land the equipment ground to the ground bar and land the white neutral to the neutral bus bar and you will be good to go:)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how big of a weatherproof box do you reccomend any kind is ok as long as it is weatherproof ?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

1) At the GFCI disco box, do not install the green main bonding screw.

See revised diagram shown below:

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

1) I recommend a NEMA 3R if installing exterior. A minimum of a 4" X 4" X 2 1/8" will work. You will also need a NEMA 3R blank cover plate on the JB.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

1) Yes, PVC or metal NEMA rated 3R JB's are acceptable. Both are code compliant:)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is there an actual green screw that i do not attach or do i take the strap off just connect the ground wire to the grounding bar
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok thanks got to make my shopping list now
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

1) Depends on the GFCI disco box manufacturer. Some will have a green main bonding screw and other may have a main bonding strap that connects to the neutral bus bar. In either case, don't install either one. By not installing the main bonding screw/strap, this is how the disco box has an isolated neutral. The GFCI disco box will actually be configured as a sub-panel by not installing the main bonding screw or jumper strap.

2) Sounds like a Home Depot run to me?

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

1) If you have any other questions or run into any problems, just come back to this same question and give me a shout. I am logged on here everyday from around 0700 hrs till midnight CST.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can the liquidtite be above ground
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

1) Yes, that is certainly code compliant. Done all of the time for hot tubs and for central air conditioners. No problem at all:)

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
can i run my liquidtite right alone side of the bottom of my hot tub
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
can i use medal clips in the concrete to hold it down
Expert:  Kevin replied 17 days ago.

Yes, that is code compliant as long as the Liquidtite is secured every 3 feet (if longer than 6 feet) and 12 inches from any box or the final hot tub disconnect or final connection.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
once the liquidtite enter the side of the hot tub is that the end of the run or need for the conduit or does it need to go all the way to the hook up point
Expert:  Kevin replied 16 days ago.

Once the liquidtite enters into a knockout hole to access the wire compartment, a box connector to secure the liquidtite is required.

Expert:  Kevin replied 16 days ago.

See the link shown below for various liquidtite connectors:

http://www.homedepot.com/s/liquidtite%20connector?NCNI-5

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
here is one for you coming out of the house in liquidtite and into the hot tub breaker box then out of the breaker box to the hot tub i made a mistake in measuring the wore so i had to do another junction box and splice/wire nut them together to finish the run. i used water proof junction box as well as water proof wire nuts i know it should be one solid run but is it ok? My concern is resistance in the box? By the way it is set up and it did work....
Expert:  Kevin replied 12 days ago.

Sure, the splices and weatherproof Junction Box are both code compliant. Just make sure the splices are nice and tight and using wire nuts and you are good to go.

Good job on your behalf in getting everything working:)

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
don't know if this is in your wheelhouse or not but would a 5,500 watt generator power the spa here are the specifics from the manual North American 60 Hz 5X/6X JETS 3/4 PUMPS
Voltage 240VAC
Max Current Draw 48A
Number of Wires 4
GFCI 60Aif i got a power switch what amp would i need and would it run it?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
i do not need to worry about resistance? any suggestions for powering hot tub in winter if power goes out?
Expert:  Kevin replied 12 days ago.

You would need a minimum of a 12kw generator to power the spa. 48 amps x 240 volts = 11,520 watts.

A 5.5kw gen set is way too small to power the spa.

No problem on resistance.

A higher generator wattage rating would be required.

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 days ago.

Any other questions?