Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

I have a red/pink wire at my electrical junction box

Customer Question

I have a red/pink wire at my electrical junction box connected to a black wire? Is this correct?
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: No I have not consulted an electrician yet. This system was put in place circa 1963.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, I am doing the work myself.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I just moved back to my home in Hawaii. I bought this home in 1988. My son and daughter lived in t he house when my spouse and I worked in California. I have been doing repairs to this house for about a year. When I first arrived in August of 20I5 I noticed that I did not have any power to any of my wall outlets in a room. This room has 5 outlets. All do not have any power. When I check them with a electrical tester they all show up green. I have a ground fault circuit interrupter that does has a yellow light. I opened the breaker to the gfci outlet in the kitchen and I was able to get it to reset. I noticed a yellow light on the gfci. I closed the breaker and the gfci opened again. I traced the electrical wire down to an electrical junction box under the house. I have plenty of room to sit and observe the box. I used a electrical test and all of the wires that were black had power in them. And all of the white wires all did not have any power. All black wires had power except to one that leads to the gfci. I also noticed a pink/red wire that was connected to a black wire. Is this normal. .
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 days ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 days ago.

The use of a red to black wire connection is acceptable. It is either a source wire feeding the black wire circuit or a return switch hot wire from a switch. The trip of a GFCI wouldn't be caused by that connection. Trips are caused by ground faults or failed GFCI devices.