JACUSTOMER-1eysp1u4-
JACUSTOMER-1eysp1u4-,
Experience:  Journeyman Electrician, Lead Man (Sub-Foreman) at Romanoff Electric
93576554

How do I change a 48" fluorescent light bulb. I have

Customer Question

How do I change a 48" fluorescent light bulb. I have literally spent hours trying to get this done. This time after about five minutes I got some solid light, but it was not full brightness. I tried for a few more minutes and finally got full brightness! However, I was afraid that if I turned the lights off they would not turn back on full, so I left the light on for a half hour before turning off and on, and sure enough the lights were flickering again.I had this same problem a couple years ago, and I had an answer on JA about placing a mark and turning but no longer have it archived. When I take the bulb and put it in the socket, should the two prongs be parallel to each other, or should one prong be on top and one on bottom. Then after I insert it in one of the two ways noted above, I then turn it a quarter turn towards me or away from me?Can I do this while the light is one safely? If not, then I don't think I would ever get it right. Thanks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-1eysp1u4- replied 1 month ago.

Hello, you seem to be spamming the question, I do not know if you are aware of this , but it's in the list 5 times.Welcome to JA/Pearl, my name is***** and I will try to help u today

generally when changing bulbs I will turn the switch off, carefully align the bulb so I can make use of tiny pin holes near the tombstones ( the holes allow you to put the bulb into the fixture without forcing anything due to the length of the bulb, from there you turn the bulb so the pins are parallel with the slot of the tombstone and push into one side , clearing the pins that were in the placement holes of the fixture, this enables me to slide the tube down into the opposite tombstone, once the bulb is in the tombstone with the connection pins vertically and inside the slots of the tombstones on each end , you turn the buld half turn until you hear the tombstones "click" and lock the bulb in place. I will try to find pictures if you need more assistance.

You can leave the switch on and replace the bulb if you feel that helps you.

This is a great video showing what I explained

.https://youtu.be/5rkUhU6lnIk

I hope that answers your question . Thanks for using JA/Pearl, don't forget to rate me and have a wonderful day !