Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

I bought a new vanity light for my bathroom and it has a

Customer Question

I bought a new vanity light for my bathroom and it has a three light bar. The wiring instructions are vague and the wiring is not correct per the diagram. The back of the light has two holes of which one hole has two wires coming out and the other has four wires coming out. There is no diagram, How should I wire these lights together?
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What are the wire colors? 3 whites and 3 blacks?

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 days ago.

1) How many house wires inside the box and those wire colors?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
black white and bare in the house.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
3 total
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 days ago.

Thanks for the house wire reply.

1) I also need to know the quantity of vanity light wires and those colors? 3 blacks and 3 whites for the vanity light? Please confirm.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
3 black and 3 white and one bare ground wire. Out of one hole there are one black and one white. Out of the other hole there are two black and two white. I dont know which way to wire because the diagram is nothing.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Do you have a generic wire diagram that I can follow?
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 days ago.

Thanks for the confirmation.

1) Take the 3 white vanity light neutral wires and splice them all together with the 1 house white neutral wire.

2) Splice all 3 vanity light black wires to the 1 house black wire.

3) If the wall box is metal, the house bare ground wire needs to terminate to the metal box using a green ground screw.

4) Since the vanity light contains 3 lights, there is 1 hot (black) and 1 neutral (white for each light) the 3 + 3

Reply back and let me know how you make out...........Thanks.............Kevin:).

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Isnt putting all three together like that overloading it?
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 days ago.

No, by splicing all 3 together the lights are wired in parallel. This is how it is done.

An overload only occurs if the house wires are undersized or if the circuit breaker is undersized.

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 days ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.