Chris Parson
Chris Parson,
Experience:  Electrician at L.E. Myers

Our trunk wires to our trailer were recentky submerged inder

Customer Question

Our trunk wires to our trailer were recentky submerged inder 2 ft of water for 2 days. Now all our 220 are out wont work. Waiting for the electrician to come Monday, but meanwhile a strange noise is coming from the wall panal in trailer. A low humming. Should I flip all the dbl circuits off. Those are usually the 220s right? Staying up all night so family doesnt burn up.
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Please provide additional details? You mention a trailer. Is this a mobile home or an RV?

2) Yes, 240 volt circuits will reside on a double pole circuit breaker. If circuits are making noise, for safety reasons, kill power to the branch circuit breaker until the problem can be identified and corrected.

3) Did water come into contact with any receptacles?

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 days ago.

Since I have not heard back from you, I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open board.

No need to reply back to me, you will be notified if another expert picks up the question.

Expert:  Chris Parson replied 3 days ago.

Like Kevin stated in his second point kill the power until a electrician comes and looks at the problem. Always as a safety precaution assume they did come into contact with water, because this can certainly cause someone to get hurt or even cause death. Kill the power, and wait for the electrician to arrive.