How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike G. Your Own Question
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 7107
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Mike G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When I turned my hair dryer on, it sparked and popped at the

Customer Question

When I turned my hair dryer on, it sparked and popped at the base of the handle, causing a couple of holes in the wire. I immediately turned it off, dropped it on the floor then unplugged it. There was nothing else plugged into this outlet and no overload on any other outlets.
Is it safe to use the outlet and same plug where I had the hair dryed plugged into?
Thank you in advance for your answer.
Mk
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

The receptacle may be OK. The only way to know is to try plugging something other than the hair dryer in.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I plugged something else into the receptacle, it does work, so my question is.....Is it safe to use this receptacle? Even with a new hair dryer?Thank you
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

It works, use it. The failure as you stated was the cord of the old hair dryer.

Related Electrical Questions