Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer

Having a problem wireing GFI current to box O.K. cannot get

Customer Question

Having a problem wireing GFI current to box O.K. cannot get current into
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: wiring a gfi to outlet change load wire to other terminal no success. what am i doin wrong. a couple of hours
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: no have not, system isn old as the house builtin 1993
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes,
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: read instru. sheet it says black tothe load wirei done this and no results
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you have the circuit feed terminated to the GFCI LINE side and not reversed to the GFCI LOAD side? If LINE and LOAD are reversed, the GFCI will not work correctly.

2) Temporarily remove the wires from the GFCI LOAD side. Does the GFCI work, test and trip correctly while only having the LINE side connected (circuit feed)?

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 days ago.

Since you have not replied back to me, I will opt out of your question and will place it back to the open board.

No need to reply back to me, you will will notified if another expert picks up the question.