Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer

I have a onan genset from a motor home. when they removed it

Customer Question

I have a onan genset from a motor home. when they removed it they cut the wires. it has two black, two white, and one green wire. it has a 20 amp and a 30 amp breaker. what wires do I connect to get 110 and 220 volts.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: i just pick it up about a month ago at a garage sale.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes, i wired my own house did the plumbing and heating myself.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: just how to hook up the wires so i get 110 and 220. i plan on just putting plugs on the end of the wires.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Take a look at the gen set receptacles and confirm the NEMA ratings.

Most likely the 30 amp is a NEMA rated L14-30R which consists of 4 conductors..... ie..........2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 equipment ground. This would be a combo of 120/240 volts.

The 20 amp receptacle will only be a 3 wire 120 volt circuit which will have 1 hot, 1 neutral and 1 equipment ground.

2) Where are the wires located that you are referencing? Inside a plug-in cord or other? Do you have 2 separate cords that are plugged in at the generator?

3) Please confirm what you have and we can take it from there..........Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 days ago.

Since I have not heard back from you, I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open board. You will be notified if another expert picks up the question.