Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

My kitchen light is not turning on. I have switched the

Customer Question

My kitchen light is not turning on. I have switched the light fixture. I changed the light switch. The problem seems that the wires that come into the switch are not "hot"
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Yesterday I changed the light fixture. Today I changed the switch.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Ideally yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I checked the breaker and it is not off.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you have either a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or a multi-meter available?

2) How many wires and what were the wire colors that were terminated to the original wall switch?

3) Is the switch a single pole or a 3-way switch?

4) How many house wires and the wire colors at the ceiling box?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
1) Yes I have a multi-meter. Not an expert in using it.
2) There are two wires. One black and one white.
3) Switch is single pole. There are three screws, one for black wire, one for white wire, and a green screw (I believe for green wire)
4) I am going to check the number of house wires and wire colors at the ceiling box.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 days ago.

OK, Thanks for the replies.

1) Sounds like the switch was wired using Romex cable, correct?

2) The switch white is being used as the hot circuit feed and the switch black is the switched loop wire that will splice to the light fixture hot wire.

3) At the ceiling box, is there a white wire that was re-labeled with black electrical tape to identify it as being a hot wire? Is this white wire spliced to another black wire or a group of black wires?

4) At the ceiling box, do you have a group of white neutral wires that are spliced together?

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 days ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.