ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.

My sisters laundry room has a gfci which feeds an outlet for

Customer Question

My sisters laundry room has a gfci which feeds an outlet for her washer & dryer & a light switch.. her gfci tripped & wont reset. She had the gfci replaced & the new one will not reset. I looked @ it & both the line hot & neutral read 120vac to ground. I did a quick check of all connections & they looked good.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just this am.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. I've checked everything I could think of.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I did find one of the ceiling light socket melted . So I disconnected the lines to it via the switch
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 13 days ago.

Welcome to

If both line & load read 120 volts to ground there is a loose neutral somewhere on the circuit.

Unplug everything on the circuit and remove each device looking for loose connections.

Expert:  ProGrade replied 13 days ago.

You mentioned that the dryer outlet is also on this GFCI. Is the dryer a gas unit? Thanks

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
a gas unit. I disconnected all loads to the gfci & plugged in a light into the gfci & still would not reset. I thought the problem could be in the line feed
Expert:  ProGrade replied 13 days ago.

It could also be in the feeder, a loose connection on the neutral would exhibit the same symptoms. GFCIs require a good line & neutral to work properly.

It could be a problem with a loose neutral connection in the panel.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Checked all connections on breaker & neutral connections. Even switched to another breaker. I can only assume there are no splices in the supply line. Sounds like I might have to run a new feed?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 13 days ago.

Obviously if this is a dedicated feed to utility room it shouldn't be spliced or have other loads on it. Is this in an older application? Has re-wiring or other electrical work taken place over the years? If so, anything is possible. Is there access to the attic so you can trace the circuit, assuming it takes that route. If not, you could run a temporary test feeder from the panel directly to the first outlet to test it before you go to the trouble of replacing it.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thanks.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 13 days ago.

You are welcome, please let me know if you have any other questions or need additional direction. I'm here to help till this is resolved.

Expert:  ProGrade replied 13 days ago.

Any progress, any questions? Thanks