Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

I just replaced a circuit breaker but the new one has

Customer Question

I just replaced a circuit breaker but the new one has tripped what could be the problem
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: its updated and no i just had replaced the circuit breaker this evening
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: depends
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have switched off the main power breaker and all the individual breakers until I can get some more guidance
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 12 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What kind of a circuit breaker? A regular single pole or double pole breaker or a GFCI or AFCI breaker?

2) What type of loads reside on the circuit? Receptacles, lighting, appliances, etc?

3) Was there any recent electrical work performed on this circuit?

4) Does the breaker automatically trip when activated or does it trip over a certain time period?

5) Do you have a continuity tester available?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Receptacles and lights trips right away I have a tester fot the outlet
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 days ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Unplug any loads from the receptacles and turn the light switches to the OFF position. Does the breaker still trip?

2) If still tripping, kill power to that breaker. Then temporarily remove the hot wire from the circuit breaker. Restore power to the breaker, does it still trip when the hot wire has been removed at the breaker?

3) If the replacement breaker is still tripping, then locate another single pole breaker in the panel with the same amperage and "roll" the circuit from the tripped breaker to another known working breaker. Does the trouble follow or go away when "rolling" the circuit?

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 days ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................. Kevin:)