Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

My brand new fan makes a slight grinding noise with each

Customer Question

my brand new fan makes a slight grinding noise with each rotation. I double checked that all of the screws are tight, the fan is actually balanced and barely wobbles. When I look straight up at it from the ground, it looks like the component the blades are attached to is slightly off center, but i can't push it to make it centered.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 10 minutes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: it's a harbor breeze ceiling fan. I installed one just like it in a different room a couple years ago and the rotary component looks centered when I look at the fan from below on that fan, and that fan doesn't make any noise
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 18 days ago.

Welcome to

I gighly recommend that you return the fan for a replacement while under warranty. Rhe noise is from a defective winding in rhe motor. It can only be repaired by a motor shop. Since it's under warranty, you shouldn't concern yourself with this type repair, it is not a DIY issue as attempts to repair it would void the warranty. Thank you

Expert:  Mike G. replied 18 days ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. I suggest checking the ball connection notch being set. If you can turn the motor, not the blades, it isn't set which makes the alignment off and will cause a rubbing noise. Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks Mike, Do you mean the ball shaped component attached to the downrod fitting into the mounting bracket? Is so, I doubled check it and it is seated securely. I watched the connection at the base of the downrod to the motor while the fan is spinning and that section is stable (the fan is actually really balanced considering the noise). I'm not sure how I would try to manually turn the motor without turning the blades. If you could clarify that I would greatly appreciate it. If I manually turn the blades, the internal part of the motor turns with them and the external housing of the motor does not move.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 18 days ago.

If it looked slightly off set is why I wanted you check the ball. If you spin the blades does it make a rubbing noise? If off set it may be the ring the blades are attached to that is rubbing. The housing on the motor may be moved slightly by pushing on it to try centering or pushing the blades to center it. These are the only options for the problem. Let me know how it went.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It makes the rubbing noise when I turn the blades. I adjusted the motor housing and there is still no difference in the sound made.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 18 days ago.

The last thing to try is to pull down on the blade where you hear the noise. If that doesn't solve the problem not being there makes further suggestions not possible.