Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I, we are in a hurricane power outage situation. Could be 10

Customer Question

I
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: we are in a hurricane power outage situation. Could be 10 days before power is restored. I have a Generac RS 5500 generator and want to hook up our electric water heater to use for bathing mostly. Got 8 grand kids in home and 5 adults. Into the 3rd day need hot water.
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: No the generator is new heater is 5 trails. I have some basic electrical knowledge.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think the elements for the water heater are 2250 each That's 2250 watts each
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. The best thing to do is connect the generator to the main service panel on a 2 pole 30A breaker. The installation to be code compliant will need to have a power inlet and an interlock assembly, but in an emergency only the attachment to the breaker. YOU WILL NEED TO TURN THE MAIN BREAKER OFF WHILE HAVING THE GENERATOR ATTACHED!!!!!