Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have a pa system connected to 3 prong surge protector. Had

Customer Question

I have a pa system connected to 3 prong surge protector. Had my sound man out and he stated that the ground is not proper and causing the Feedback. What options are there to fix the ground.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.

hi ...............sorry I don't know that much when it comes to sound and it's quality but I found these

http://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-to-find-and-fix-hum/

and also I will opt out so one of my esteemed colleagues might provide more of an insight for you

thank you for the request

eddie

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What is the voltage of the circuit and the amperage of the circuit breaker?

2) How is the circuit wired? NM Romex cable, metal or PVC conduit or metal clad cable or other?

3) Any lighting on the circuit or only receptacles?

4) How many receptacles on the circuit?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
old building I am not certain l am a novice just know it isn't grounded properly had two different sound techs come out
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) I would need to understand the specifics regarding the existing wiring scheme before I can make a comment.

2) A quick answer is that, I always recommend when using audio equipment is to have that equipment reside on a dedicated grounded receptacle circuit that contains no lighting nor any other loads except the audio equipment receptacle.

3) The main electrical panel and/or the building also needs to be confirmed that no ground loops are present. Main panels and/sub-panels also need to be confirmed that they are properly grounded to a primary and a supplemental grounding electrode conductor and an equipment grounding conductor.

4) As you can see, there are numerous factors which can have an impact on audio equipment within the electrical distribution methods installed.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)