Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

Pelt and I have a couple of questions regrading a swimming

Customer Question

Good afternoon, my name is***** and I have a couple of questions regrading a swimming pool gfci
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: For about 2-3 days
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes I do, I have taken electrical courses so I am not a complete novice.
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: The GFCI is a 20A, pigtail mounted in in a Intermatic 100 A panel. When I reset the breaker, turn the light the lamp stays lit 75 seconds before the breaker trips
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Since the breaker doesn't trip immedately, it seems like this is a thermal interrupt in the breaker, other wise it would trip immediately. Is that a true statement?
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 15 days ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Breakers are inverse time trip devices. They will hold an overload depending on the magnitude related to time. You need to put a clamp meter on the circuit to see what the draw is. Knowing that will determine what the next step is.