Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

Does a charger for new electric car need to be gfi protected

Customer Question

does a charger for new electric car need to be gfi protected
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 17 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) If the charger is a 240 volt type, most Level 2 chargers will have a built-in form of GFCI protection inside the charging unit. Therefore, an external/house GFCI is typically not required since the GFCI is normally built into the charging unit.

2) If the charger is a Level 1 (120 volt) version), the charger may or may not have an internal GFCI protection. If no internal charging GFCI protection on the unit, then the 120 volt receptacle needs to be GFCI protected.

3) In summary, all depends upon the type of charger and the manufacturer spec's

Expert:  Kevin replied 17 days ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.