Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I have a Hubbell Temporary Power Distrobution box which

Customer Question

Hello Jason I have a Hubbell Temporary Power Distrobution box which doesnt work. I will be posting pictures up later in the day. Just wanted to give you a heads up. Hope all is well.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Post the pictures and provide me with the model number of the Hubbell.

2) Also provide me with the details as to the problem with the box and we can take it from there.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Kevin thank you for the reply but this questions is directed to Jason.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

No problem, I will opt out of the question. Jason is very seldom logged on here in recent months.

Take care and have a great day........Thanks...........Kevin:)

Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Hi Johnny. Thanks for requesting me. You can post your photos at any time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jason I just bought a few used Hubbell SBSB1 temporary power distros. I connected the black hot, neutral and ground cable to a regular 15 amp plug to test the outlets with a multi meter and didnt get any voltage on any outlets. I opened up the top cover and measured the wires from the main feed and I can measure 120vac on the red and only 60vac on the black. I see the the distro has 2 hots each feeding a different side on the distro. I'm a little confused cause I connected just the black wire and left the red wire disconnect just to test the outlets that get powered from the black wire.1 - Why am I getting 120vac on the red side and 60vac on the black when I only connected the the black side?2 - I check voltage from the left side of the terminal block to the right side of the contactor and I get 120vac on red and 60vac on the black. When I test from the right side of the contactor to the left side I get 1vac. Looks like the contactor is bad correct?3 - Why would they put a contactor? Is it safe to bypass or should I get replacement?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Heres another one
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for posting the photos. In looking at the schematic, it appears the contactor is in place to help ensure proper polarity. Rather than bypass it, I would replace it. Contactors aren't expensive, and by putting a new one in, you have a factory original piece of equipment.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1 - Why am I getting 120vac on the red side and 60vac on the black when I only connected the the black side?2 - I check voltage from the left side of the terminal block to the right side of the contactor and I get 120vac on red and 60vac on the black. When I test from the right side of the contactor to the left side I get 1vac. Looks like the contactor is bad correct?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Are you able to get the contactor to pull in at all? I followed the coil leads as much as I could, but it was difficult to tell what controls the coil. If you push the contactor in manually, do the outlets work?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1 - Why am I getting 120vac on the red side and 60vac on the black when I only connected the the black side?2 - I check voltage from the left side of the terminal block to the right side of the contactor and I get 120vac on red and 60vac on the black. When I test from the right side of the contactor to the left side I get 1vac. Looks like the contactor is bad correct?3- Does the contactor require both hots to engage or can it engage with one hot?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

The contactor can engage with one hot connected, two hots connected, or no hots connected. The coil wires have to be connected in order for it to engage, and those coil wires have to be energized. On the schematic, the coil wires are the thin red and blue lines on the top and bottom of the contactor. The line voltage power leads are the thicker black and red lines on the left and right. I followed both coil wires to the box marked "Polarity Supervisory Circuit" (N1 and N2).

Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

I would take a reading across those coil wires when the contactor should be pulled in, and see what you get. If the coil wires are energized but the contactor isn't pulled in, replace the coil, or the entire contactor. As a test, you can bypass the contactor by removing the heavier black and red wires and temporarily splicing them to each other. If that gives you power at the outlets, the contactor is probably bad (or the coil on the contactor, to be more specific).