ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.

The electric went out and then back on quickly. Now my

Customer Question

The electric went out and then back on quickly. Now my refrigerator won't come back on. The breaker was fine.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 21 days ago.

Welcome to

Do you have a multimeter or test light? Or...if the interior light was working before does it still work? Trying to determine if you have power to it. Thank you

Expert:  ProGrade replied 21 days ago.

If power is lost to the outlet, turn breaker off then remove the outlet from the box. Is the outlet wired using the rear bushing terminals or are they conductors under the screws?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Will have to try and pull the frig out from the cabinet that surrounds it. Its the only thing plugged into the outlet. The circuit breaker was reset just to make sure it wasn't tripped. Frig is still dead
Expert:  ProGrade replied 21 days ago.

OK, thank you. Assuming this is a residence if it was built in the last 15 years the outlet should be on a dedicated circuit...should be the only thing on that circuit. If so, it will make troubleshooting the power issue much simpler.

Expert:  ProGrade replied 21 days ago.

If you find that the outlet was wired using the rear push in terminals rewire it by placing the conductor's under the screws after bending a loop in each conductor. Make sure to get the connections good and tight.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
House is 12 Years old so its on a dedicated circuit. Is rewiring the only option? Not sure I can do that.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 21 days ago.

Rewiring is not the only option but once you determine that you have a loose connection it is recommended that you do it while you have the outlet out. If push in terminals were used and you don't switch over to the screw terminals the outlet would have to be replaced to reuse it with push in terminals. I do not recommend the use of pushin terminals at all but especially not on an appliance like this. It is possible that you could move the wires in the connections enough to make them get a good enough connection to last until you can get someone out to replace it properly. Thisvis very iffy.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
The outlet is working.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I think I need someone that knows LG appliances. I was hoping to see if there is a reset on the frig
Expert:  ProGrade replied 21 days ago.

Generally, there is no such thing as a manual reset on refrigerators.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Guess I need to call the repair service then. Thanks.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 21 days ago.

Yes, determining if the outlet has power would help you detetmine whether you need an electrician or a refrigerator repair technician. If the interior light (s) is out, you need an electrician.

Another temporary option to get you thru the night is to roll it out (refrigerators are usually on rollers) to gain access to the power cord, then using a heavy extension cord - minimum 14 gauge- plug the frig into another, workig outlet.