Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

Ok, here we go! My swimming pool has underwater lighting

Customer Question

Ok, here we go! My swimming pool has underwater lighting that is on a 15 amp circuit that is protected by a GFIC receptacle that is outdoors which works fine on its own. The jacuzzi that is attached to the pool has a blower that pumps air into the line coming from the circulating pump. Which also works fine on its own and has never been a problem. Now, the blower motor is controlled by a submersable manual switch which is mounted inside the jacuzzi right at the water level. It is not a conventional switch, but rather seems to have a sort of piston that is pushed to displace air or water to operate the switch. Now, the issue is that when the switch for the air pump is operated it trips the GFIC on the circuit for the lights which is a totally separate circuit. So, the question is, how can the switch on the air pump trip the GFIC on what appears to be a totally separate circuit. intuition tells me that it's not possible. There is clearly something going on here that I don't understand.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. You are correct

The underwater light should be on its own circuit as the blower should be. You'll need to trace the wiring to verify they are. In doing so check for any water infiltration which could cause GFCI trips.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I understand what you are saying, but I order to turn the air pump on or off I have to shut off the breaker for the pool lights. I will take a closer look but it just doesn't make sense.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

One more thing, an underwater light should not be on a circuit shared with anything else. The receptacle and the blower connections are a code violation.