Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired electrical contractor, 51 years experience.
23932409

Why are my LED under cupboard kitchen lights flicking on

Customer Question

Why are my LED under cupboard kitchen lights flicking on although they are switched off
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Hello, the one and only thing that will cause that is a defective switch.

Let me know if you would like to test that (you will need some skills) or are up to replacing the switch yourself.

We can go from there without a time limit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will check switch but even with mcb for that circuit they are still doing it,the live for kitchen main lights and under cupboard lights is at the switch even disconnecting the wire from back of switch doesn't stop them from flicking onn
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** possible that the wire for the LED's is running past a garbage disposal or dishwasher motor and picking up current by induction when either of those units are running...that would be if the lights flicker when unplugged.

aside from a defective switch, that leaves us with a defective mcb... the more you work with it, the more the cause will become clear, we can go from here without a time limit, please rate my work when we finally get this sorted out.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nothing using a large current is running as kitchen not being used yet
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

It is possible that the polarity is reversed on one of the other lights in that circuit... try it with all lights off, then turn them on one at a time do discover the culprit if that is the case.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will check that too,the under cupboard lights are the only lights controlled by that switch
I have a 3 gang wall switch,one switch controls under cupboard lights,one controls one circuit of ceiling down lights with led gu10 and last of 3 switches controls the other circuit of ceiling down lights also with led gu10
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

The reverse polarity can be *anywhere in the entire circuit controlled by the same panel breaker.

In rare cases it can be anywhere in the any of the house's circuits

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=reverse+polarity+fllickering+lights

read several of these, not all are precisely on point