Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have an installed fan and after each storm, the fan

Customer Question

I have an installed fan and after each storm, the fan decoupled from the RC. I think it is a matter of re-align de combination....right?
but I have 5 dips, do you have the 25 possible combinations?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Are you sure the fan has a 5 position DIP switch? Most ceiling fans only have a 4 position DIP switch which = 16 possible combinations of 0's and 1's.

See attached binary chart for a 4 position DIP switch:

2) If the fan has a 5 position DIP switch, the maximum DIP switch combinations = 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 32 possible combinations of 0's and 1's.

Here are the 32 possible combinations:

00000
00001
00010
00011
00100
00101
00110
00111
01000
01001
01010
01011
01100
01101
01110
01111
10000
10001
10010
10011
10100
10101
10110
10111
11000
11001
11010
11011
11100
11101
11110
11111

3) Yes, the fan receiver and the handheld remote DIP switch settings must be identical and match. in order for the fan and/or light kit to work correctly.

4) A loss of commercial power during a storm should not change the DIP switch settings.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi, it does not work. I returned to the dip combination it used to work before the storm (11111). I was checking the internet, maybe there is a combination of pushing bottoms, but I can find them for my RC
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the replies and pic's

1) No, the only settings that have to match are the DIP switch settings.

2) Have you installed fresh batteries in the transmitter?

3) Most likely, the fan receiver has fried if not working. Unfortunately, a somewhat common occurrence in remote ceiling fans.

4) If the fan has pull chains, you can temporarily remove the receiver if it is installed under the ceiling canopy cover and hard-wire the house wires directly to the fan/light and confirm that it works. If the fan works hard-wired, then you need a replacement receiver and a replacement transmitter.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks.
Yes, the batteries are fresh and the light turns on each time I push de buttoms.
The fan is in ON and I can't stop it, maybe you are right the recceiver is fried. But the strange thing is that after each storm it starts yo or switch off.
I can't access the receiver easily to buy pass it. I would have to disassemble the whole body. I am afraid it is not working
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) The only other possibility is that you have a faulty wire splice at the receiver output. If the splices are all good, then the receiver is mostly at fault and would need to be replaced.

2) On most remote fans, the receiver is located directly under the ceiling canopy cover. There are usually 3 screws to drop the canopy cover. You normally don't have to de-install the entire fan. Just drop the canopy cover and confirm if the receiver is mounted there. If so, disconnect it and hard-wire the house wires to the fan/light. In order to confirm if the fan will work, the fan must have pull chains. If the fan works correctly with pull chains, then the receiver is defective.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)