Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Round box on the wall for the hardwired light. We want the

Customer Question

Round box on the wall for the hardwired light. We want the light to go away (with our help) and be replaced with an outlet (switch powered, like the light.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Haven't started yet.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I am.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I do not think so.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Are you just looking to replace the existing light fixture with a duplex wall receptacle and a cover plate?

2) Will the wall receptacle be controlled by the existing wall switch?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Single or double. Yes to the switch.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

OK, Thanks for confirming.

1) You will need a metal cover plate shown in the link below that will attach to the existing round box. The duplex receptacle will then mount to this cover.

Walmart sells these cover plates as shown in the link below: Depot and Lowe's also sells them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thomas-Betts-Thomas-Betts-5402LR-Round-Box-Cover-4-RND-2-OUTLET-COVER/38755010

2) Turn the circuit breaker and the wall switch both to the OFF position and remove the existing light fixture. Then terminate the black house wire to the brass screw on the receptacle and terminate the white neutral wire to the silver screw on the receptacle. If you have a bare copper ground wire or a green insulated ground wire, terminate that to the green ground screw on the receptacle. The receptacle will now be controlled by the existing wall switch

3) You will also require a round finish cover plate for the wall box. I've never seen these sold at Depot or Lowe's, but a local electrical supply store should carry this type of finish cover plate.

If unable to find a finish cover plate locally, here is a link to a website that sells them:

http://www.kyleswitchplates.com/round-duplex-outlet-wall-switch-plates/

Reply back to me and let me know if this helps to answer your question..........Thanks...........Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)